Attorney and Mediator
Finding creative solutions in complex family law matters.
Click HERE to read client reviews.
Cleveland divorce attorney and mediator, Katie Arthurs, is passionate about helping people navigate the divorce process and achieve a fresh start. She recognizes that, for many, the divorce process can be challenging and expensive, and prides herself on reducing that impact. Her caring yet straightforward approach in mediation and dissolution of marriage helps people negotiate fair settlements on custody, shared parenting, visitation, spousal support, alimony, child support, property division, temporary finances and support, temporary parenting time, and other family law issues.
For the first decade of her career, Katie was an attorney/partner at two reputable Cleveland law firms. In 2021, Katie exited firm life to establish Northeast Ohio Family Law & Mediation LLC to focus her practice on keeping families out of court. She has a passion for problem solving and finding resolution even when others may not see the way.
Education and Credentials.
Katie received her law degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Law, cum laude, J.D. She graduated from John Carroll University, cum laude, B.A., with an English major and a business minor. Katie is an Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist in Family Relations Law. She is admitted to the Ohio Bar and the U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio. Katie has acquired advanced trainings in:
- Specialized Divorce Mediation
- Collaborative Law
- Parenting Coordination
- Cooperative Divorce
Awards and Honors.
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Family Law (2020-2023) and Family Law Mediation (2022-2023).
- Named to the Ohio Super Lawyers list (2023).
- Named to the Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star list (2018-2021).
- Recipient of the Avvo Client’s Choice Award (2016, 2019).
- Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA) Family Relations Law Certified Specialist (2020-Present).
- OSBA Member (2012-Present).
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Family Law Section Member (2012-Present).
- Center for Principled Family Advocacy Member (2016-Present); Secretary (2017); President-Elect (2018-2019); President (2020-2021); Mediation Practice Group Leader (2022-Present).
- Breaking Up Is Hard To Do: Navigating the Domestic Relations Arena, Podcast Guest, Shoveling Smoke – A Frantz Ward Lawcast, April 2021.
- Mentioned in, Lawyers, Firms Receive Recognition, Cleveland Jewish News, January 2021.
- Family Law’s Shift from ‘Winning’ to Finding Middle Ground, Crain’s Cleveland Business, September 2020.
- Positive Effects of Unprecedented Times: The Rise of Technology and the Collaborative Divorce Process, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, July 2020.
- Protecting Family Wealth, Inheritance and Gifts from Division in Divorce, Frantz Ward Client Alert, June 2020.
- Tips for Keeping the Peace, Luma Wealth Advisors Q&A, April 2020.
- Quoted in, Insulating Your Company from the Fallout of a Partner’s Divorce, Smart Business, December 2018.
- Quoted in, Khloé Kardashian Apparently Has Sole Custody of Her New Baby, Marie Claire, April 2016.
- Quoted in, Khloé Kardashian Has Sole Custody Of Her New Baby Daughter, According To Ohio Law, ELLE, April 2016.
- Quoted in, Family Matters: Reducing the Impact of Personal Issues on Business, Smart Business, December 2017.
- Transition Planning for Children with Special Needs, Crain’s Cleveland Business, August 2017.
- Aftermath of Battle: The Rise of Post-Divorce Conflict, Issues and Client Needs, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, July/August 2017.
- Removing the Stigma: 8 Modern Benefits of Prenuptial Agreements, Crain’s Cleveland Business, April 2017.
- Business Approach: Navigating Divorce by Using a Business Mindset, Smart Business, January 2017.
- Prenuptial Agreement Drafting Considerations and What Goes Wrong In Divorce Litigation, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (CMBA) Estate Planning & Family Law Sections CLE Webinar, December 2021.
- When Closely Held Businesses Are Held Too Closely? Association of Corporate Counsel, Cleveland, OH, August 2021.
- CPFA Breaks Down Hollywood’s Marriage Story and Identifies Key Learning Points, Center for Principled Family Advocacy CLE Webinar, March 2020.
- Domestic Relations: Practical Overview for Healthcare and Corporate Attorneys, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s (CMBA) Health Care Section Lunch & Learn, Cleveland, OH, December 2019.
- COVID-19’s Impact on the Health Care Industry, Domestic Relations and The Bankruptcy Wave, Association of Corporate Counsel, Webinar, November 2020.
- Domestic Relations: Potential Impact on Business, Association of Corporate Counsel, Cleveland, OH, August 2019.
- Business of Law, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, OH, February 2019.
- Basic Cooperative Divorce Training, Center for Principled Family Advocacy CLE, Cleveland, OH, August 2018.
- Best Practices of Your First Summer Legal Job, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, OH, November 2017.
- The Practice of Law and Business Development, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, OH, November 2016.
- Divorce 101, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association CLE Seminar, Cleveland, OH, October 2016.